Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saratoga Battlefield



Anytime I'm on the disabled list I take an opportunity to visit some places that might be a little too tame for me during the rest of the year. Usually I feel like I am wasting a weekend if I do this stuff when I'm at 100%. This trip it was the Saratoga National Historic Park. Despite the proximity to where we've been living for the last 2.5 years, and where I work twice a month, I haven't made the trip up there.

I figured with the injury a little easy walking would be good for me, and it was. I actually felt much better after we walked around. We ended up walking about 4 miles, and while it wasn't particular pretty out since it's still early in the spring, I definitely got some late spring, summer and fall concept shots in mind.

The above shot should be ideal with the leaves on the tree, and foreground flowers on the hillside below the cannon. Of course it could work on a fall day when the leaves change, then again the red cannon and house could work well in winter too.

The battlefield was both historically interesting and photogenically scenic and there is definitely enough to explore at another time!

Before May 1st the admission is free, and after that it's $5 per car, or $10 for the year. There are a few ways to "sneak" into the park, but technically hikers are supposed to pay $3 as well. I'd say considering the paved road tour (which has a pedestrian shoulder) is 8+ miles, and there are at least that many more hiking trail miles getting the $10 pass is probably a good value.


Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment